It's that time of year again: people of all ages are perfecting their costumes and preparing for a night of tricks and treats. That's right, it's Halloween!
While you are polishing off your costume, don't forget to polish your resume and cover letter. Here are some tips:
1. Customize them. Ditch the boilerplate resumes and cover letters. You'll have more success if you tailor your materials to each job posting you're interested in.
2. Remove embellishments. Don't exaggerate your experience or skills. Delete any generic phrases or empty claims. Instead, include specific details about accomplishments you've achieved.
3. Keep it simple. Try to keep your cover letter to one page or less.
4. Add new achievements. When was the last time you updated your application materials? Consider all the accomplishments you've made within the past year and include them.
5. Revamp the layout. Don't go overboard with bells and whistles, but make sure your resume is pleasing to the eye.
Want more tips? Equis Staffing has a Halloween treat for our blog readers: the Job Seeker's Toolkit. The toolkit includes some of our best advice for standing out and succeeding in your job search.